Thursday, November 18, 2010

Celebrating

Affirmation:  I celebrate my accomplishments and my disappointments.
One of my affirmations used to be: I celebrate my accomplishments and let go of my disappointments.  It sounds good, don't you think?  But, then I went to a lecture about Enneagrams.   I found that I was someone who mainly looked at the upside of things.  I didn't like focusing on the things that weren't too pleasant.  It didn't take long to realize how right they were.  I remember thinking how lucky I was that the radiation treatments I received for breast cancer were taking place in the spring.  Why, you might ask?  Well, I live in a part of the country that is breathtakingly beautiful during the spring.  The Dogwood trees alone would be enough to decorate the landscape but we also have Red buds and Azaleas and Forsythia and bulbs galore.  It has never ceased to amaze me how beautiful it is here in the Spring.  I mentioned this to someone once, about being glad my drive to radiation was during the Spring.  They told me they thought I'd find a reason to be grateful for the drive regardless of the season.  Oh, yes, that's my mode: find a way to give things a positive spin.  I guess that's why this blog is called Creating Positive Affirmations.  But, after that workshop, I changed my affirmation.  Now I write: I celebrate my accomplishments and my disappointments.  I don't want to miss or dismiss any of my life.  I want to embrace all the experiences.  I mean, all of them have had a direct impact on who I am, what I value and what I want the future to be like.  Without valuing the disappointments, how will I fully appreciate the accomplishments?

No comments:

Post a Comment