Friday, December 3, 2010

Body Image

Affirmation:  I Love My Body.
Can you say it?  Can you believe it?  I must admit it's quite a challenge.  Recently, someone asked me if I liked my body.  I said "no."  Afterwards, I was so disappointed.  Here I've been affirming it for months but my gut reaction to the question  in no way reflected my goal. Not only am I am integral part of the American society with all the hang-ups presented to us through the media about the female image, I have also had quite a bit of pain, not to mention, cancer, throughout the years.  After talking to my chiropractor and re-evaluating how I visualized my body, I decided it was time to change my thinking and so, I came up with the above affirmation.  Oh, there's much more to it.  I tell myself I am strong, resilient, flexible, powerful.  Any words that affirm this body  in a positive light.  When I took the time to closely examine how I could feel about my body, I realized I was only focusing on the negative and had totally neglected the positive aspects; like the fact that most of my body does not hurt, or that I have produced the miracle of three healthy children.  My body is a miracle unto itself.  I understand so little of how it operates but it does; most of it in good working order, miraculously. So, I am making a very conscious effort to value my body, to believe in its ability to heal itself, to be strong and healthy.  I believe it begins by loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment