Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blessings Recognized

Affirmation:  I recognize the blessings I receive when I share my time, treasure and talent with those in need.


On two occasions during this October, 2013, my husband, Sandy Costa was invited to be the Master of Ceremonies for the Ronald McDonald House of Durham, NC.  The events began at 7:45 AM and lasted an hour.  A full breakfast was served along with some of the most heartwarming and heart rendering stories I have ever heard.  For me, the stories that revolve around the struggle to live are always both inspirational and in many cases achingly sad.  This event revolves around the challenges being faced by children, little tiny ones and their families and the service, the hope and the comfort that this organization provides for them regardless of who they are or how much they have.  The Ronald McDonald House had set up these two breakfasts, among other events, to give others the opportunity to be of service to their residents and future residents.  They are giving people the opportunity to reach out and to make a difference in the lives of someone who is suffering, someone they probably do not even know.


The first event of the month was at The Tobacco Warehouse in Durham and about 400 people attended.  Sandy didn't really say much to me about his role and he's often invited to speak to groups, both large and small so I didn't pay a lot of attention to his project.  Sometimes he speaks for a fee but many times he speaks to simply be of service.  This, of course was an example of the later.  I was pleased for him that he was asked and to be given the opportunity but I didn't attend.  Actually, he didn't invite me and I wrote it off as simply another of his speaking engagements.  Wow, did I get that one wrong!

He invited me to the second event held in Raleigh at the NC State McKimmon Center.  A friend and pet therapy volunteer, Ann Henderson, asked me to sit with her group of invitees.  I was delighted to be included.  Ann brought Bailey, her wonderful warm friendly doggie.  The two of them also visit my mom once a week at my mom's assisted living apartment.  It is the highlight of my mom's week.  So I can imagine how much joy Ann and Bailey bring to the residents of The Ronald McDonald House.  They raised an amazing $260,000 during the one hour breakfast.  Why?

Sandy wasn't the only host.  He had a co-host, Sosa.  Sosa is thirteen.  She had on a black dress with silver sequins across the top.  She walked to that podium like she did it every day.  I was once told the second greatest fear after death is speaking into a microphone.  It was obvious Sosa had already conquered her 1st fear.  You can watch her at: Watch Sosa  She then started by apologizing for not wearing the red sneakers with the orange laces that she had been given, her Ronald McDonald sneakers.  "They really don't go with my outfit" she said.  Then she shared what it meant to her and her family to have a place, The Ronald McDonald House, to stay at while she was receiving her second bone marrow transplant.  Her mother had slept in their car for two months until space became available at "The House."

During the breakfast there were four other speakers, three sets of parents and Oie Osterkamp, the director of the Durham Ronald McDonald House.  There was also a video which showed the journey of another teenage girl.  I cried on and off throughout the entire program.  Who wouldn't?  Who can be among families who have undergone so much in an effort to make sure their child survives and not be emotionally moved?  Obviously, not many of us.  When Sandy finally made the plea for money the audience responded with generosity and caring.  The pledge card was not just for money.  It also included a section for visits and volunteers.  They accept any help they can get.  I have friends who shop for, purchase and cook one meal a month for the entire RMH in Greensboro, NC.  Time, treasure and talent were all greatly appreciated.

My experience has taught me that whenever I think I'm being magnanimous and generous to someone or to some cause, I discover that I am the receiver more than the giver.  It's a gift to me when someone invites me into their lives and permits me to be of service.  The book I'm now reading, Catching Fire, Becoming Flame says our first responsibility is to be of service to those who are less fortunate than we.  Discovering what our gifts are and how we can best help another is actually a responsibility.  We are called to service.  We are called to help and support one another.

If you watch the news we are led to believe we are not a caring species.  The media almost never reports on something uplifting and positive.  But, Sandy and I are involved in many different charities and we know people both of our church and of no church, who lead lives which epitomize the phrase "giving back."  It seems to me if we watch our fellow man and woman carefully we will see we are a caring, generous, even loving species.  We like to help others.  We like to make a positive difference in the lives of those around us, both those we know and in the case of these two breakfasts, in the lives of complete strangers.  We must be an amazing group of beings.  These two events, two one hour events raised over $400,000 and I am sure generated a lot of interest for volunteer opportunities.  Most people want to help others.  Sometimes it simply takes being presented with an opportunity.  These two events were a perfect example of creating an opportunity for people to feel good about themselves by sharing their bounty with others.  For me, the blessing was to be included in my husband's caring spirit.  Actually, one of my greatest blessings is that I am an integral part of Sandy's generous loving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment