Thursday, October 3, 2019

Prayer Magic






Affirmation:  I pray unceasingly.  

Do you pray?  How do you pray?  Are your prayers silent or out loud?  Do you only pray when you go to church?  How about before meals?  Maybe you only pray before meals in your home, never out in public?  Maybe your prayers are only in the evening before bedtime, like some of us were trained to do as a child.  Maybe you make up your own words, or maybe you only use the rote prayers of your faith.  As you can see there are many forms of prayers, some might even say their best prayer is when they are on the golf course or watching a football game.  “God, help me get over this water!"  "Lord, please be with our team today."  Some wouldn’t even use the name of God.  Perhaps, their faith won’t allow that or perhaps their faith leads them to only a universal concept like, the Divine or the Holy.  Of course, we also have those people who don’t believe in prayer at all and think it a waste of their time.  This may not be the blog they will want to read.  That’s ok.  I believe they are praying every time they send their energy out into the world with their thoughts, or into their bodies with their intentions.  

As part of my Spiritual Direction training I read, "Ron DelBene’s Breath of Life Series: A Simple Way to Pray (The Jesus Prayer). I don't know why but I didn't expect much of this reading but  I had a list of monthly assignments and this was one of the choices.  It seems I am quite good at mis-judging what may or may not resonate with me and once again I was wrong; wrong, wrong, and wrong!  

If you’ve been following this blog, you already know that I am a great believer in the power of prayer.  I actually pray all day and I have lots of tools to help me with that.  I have all those memorized prayers most Catholics learn as children and several I’ve memorized as an adult.  I have the one I wrote myself that I occasionally use before I journal.  I have the Rosary which I always say as I walk the lake and if not then, during some quiet time in the afternoon or before Mass.  I have Sunday Mass and if I were really disciplined, I’d have daily Mass. Sometimes it’s as simply as doing an Ujayi yoga breath and adding the name of Jesus.  So you see, I’m pretty immersed in a prayer.  

At one point at the Haden SD training, we were handed a picture of a tree and the title was "Contemplative Practices."  There are several branches: stillness, generative, creative, activist, relational, movement and ritual/cyclical.  It would appear according to this diagram that almost any form of activity can fall into a contemplative category as long as one is wholly present to their actions.  I’m sure that’s true but I still feel most of us will benefit from finding a way to silence and stillness rather than trying to focus while on the move.  It’s a busy noisy world out there and "in here" and to take some time and just be, can be life changing.  In fact, it has now been scientifically proven that the part of brain that deals with stress, changes with meditation and we experience less tension and anxiety. 

Ron DelBene’s book was for me like discovering a magic lamp, with a genie inside.  The genie popped out and I was asked to make a wish, only one.  Oh, what was so important to me that I would want to focus on it all the time?  He suggests you find a short phrase that you use as an all-day prayer.  He recommends it be around six words or so.  You then repeat it throughout your entire day.  You can say it at a red light, standing in line, waiting in a doctor’s office, walking to your employment, in the shower.  Anywhere, anytime is the perfect time.  You rub the magic lamp and you actually ask, "God, what prayer would best serve our relationship?"  You take some of that quiet time I just mentioned and you listen.  What phrase comes to mind?  For now, that’s the prayer.  Sure, you can change it.  You can tweak it but for now, own the words that you have been gifted.  Breathe in, deep breath and let them settle into your heart and your spirit.  Give the prayer a few days to take root and the be prepared for when it begins to blossom.  That’s when you’ll know the "genie" has heard your one wish and it is being manifested.  The prayer isn’t for anyone or anything other than yourself.  Selfish, you think?  Remember the Prayer of Saint Francis?  "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."  Until we change ourselves to be centered in the gifts of the Holy; love, joy, peace, hope, compassion and generosity, nothing outside of us will ever change.  Let God take up full time residence within, you only need ask, and then throw away that lamp because now the miracle of finding God within will bring about the miracle of revealing God without and I believe life will never again be the same.  

Give it a try.  If you like, write me and share your prayer and anything else that manifests from your newest practice.

"Holy Spirit, fill me with Your pure love."

Please Pray - by Jean Costa

Please pray for me
Please pray for her
Please pray for him
Please pray for them

Of course, I answer
I will, I say
I’ll add you to my list, I write
It’s my honor, I respond

Why, I think?
Will it help, I query? 
For what, I question?
How, I ponder?

Our Father, I begin
Hail Mary, I plead
Holy Spirit, I invite
Angles and guides, I request

I wake with a prayer
I walk in prayer
I sit for prayer 
I fall asleep with prayer 

Am I praying for them?
Am I praying for her?
Am I praying for him?
Am I praying for me?

How do I feel?
Does it make a difference?
Does it soothe the world?
Does it create healing?

But I believe
Yes, I believe
Truly, I believe
Surely. I believe

I pray for her 
I pray for him
I pray for them
I pray for you

I pray for hope
I pray for healing 
I pray for strength 
I pray for love 

Those I know
Those who have asked
Those who have been asked for
Those I have never met

I pray for me
I pray for family & friends
I pray for all the support people in my life
I pray for all my communities

I pray for my church
I pray for my country
I pray for our world leaders
I pray for those who have no one to pray for 

And, I send out those prayers 
I send them with hope and faith
I send them out and let them rest within
Away they go....blessing the earth

And, I trust, that I am that powerful
I trust, I can change the world
I trust, my efforts to love and not to judge
I trust, I am making a difference

No, not on my own but with 
God, the Divine, my Lord, Mother Mary 
With all our angles and guides
I pray my heart will be known 
And I trust my prayers are answered










































.

No comments:

Post a Comment