Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Buddy, Answered Prayer

Affirmation:  I believe in answered prayer.  

Buddy was a Brittany, not a Brittany Spaniel which is a common mistake because the breed looks like a Spaniel, somewhere between a Cocker and a King Charles. They are, however, their own special breed and special was Buddy.  He was orange and white and as far as we were concerned he was the most beautiful dog ever, inside and out.  

I was searching for a new dog.  We'd had dogs most of our lives and at the time we only had Misty, our cat that had adopted us a few years earlier.  She was only allowed in the garage because the children were allergic to cats.  That lasted about month and now she ruled the entire house whether people were sneezing or not.  

This time I was determined to get a dog that was appropriate for our family. We hadn't always been successful with our adoptions.  Ralph was a prime example.  He was a hyper Dalmatian who consumed a picnic table, did several thousand dollar's worth of damage to one of our cars when he wanted to get in and play with the children and sprayed all the furniture to insure that his territory was marked.  After a year or so we were able to find a farmer that wanted to care for him.  It had been a very trying experience.  He wasn't the only dog we had issues with and I was very hesitant to take on another pet with which I would fail.  I am not the best "dog person." I might as well admit it.  I am not a Caesar Milano, the dog whisperer.  I'm not sure I have a single gene that enables me to respond appropriately to a dog's deepest desires.  I'm a good caregiver, please understand.  I feed, shelter, offer warm cozy beds and long walks and good medial care.  I even undergo lots of training sessions but I can't seem to hear their inner most concerns.  It didn't matter with Buddy.  Perhaps one of the reasons we did better with him was because he came to us at eleven months of age and was already somewhat trained or maybe it was because I had asked God whether or not to adopt him and God had sent a very clear message.  

When I "found" Buddy I had gone and sat quietly to pray about adopting him.  I don't know what I expected but I'd read a lot about praying for specific answers and I was desperate.  I didn't want to disappoint another animal with my inability to create a livable space for it and for the family.  I was afraid.  So, I went and sat.  I prayed, "God what should I do?  Should I allow this animal to come into our home?" and then I waited.  I was prepared to wait for as long as it took.  It wasn't more than a couple of breaths when I "heard," "It won't be easy, but it will be worth it."  I was stunned but there it was, my answer.  I stood up, called the breeder and a week later Buddy was being delivered to us by the New Jersey breeders who “happened” to be driving to their new home here in North Carolina.  It was destiny. I'm here to tell you, God was right.  I had my struggles but it was really really worth it.  Buddy lived with us for fourteen years and he was the best dog ever.  He's been gone now for six years but we still have his ashes and his photo in our bedroom!  I'm crying as I write this.  I know many of you completely understand.

My friend, Mary Ann Scope, recently put down her English Bulldog and long time friend.  That's what prompted this story.  She said she cried for days, she's probably still crying, like me.  My other friend, Tracie Barton-Barrett is in the process of writing a book about grieving for our pets.  It's a reality, isn't it?  There are so many life lessons we experience through them.  The most important lesson being that of unconditional love.  I have one photo of Buddy where he had gathered all of my sneakers.  He had a "soft mouth" because he was a bird dog.  He dropped them all around his bed and then snuggled in for a nap.  


My husband, Sandy, loves to tell the story about when I was gone for six weeks doing my yoga training at Kripalu.  Buddy waited outside the back door, in the garage, every day until I finally returned,  He had slept with Sandy every night in our bed until the night I came home when he wouldn't come up even when called.  He was just fine going back to his own bed next to ours.  I was home and he was good again.  Amazing!

Sandy shared his tiny family home with a dog named Missy.  She was a Doberman they found in their back yard.  She was very protective of that family!  When he went to see his father's office, he was struck by the fact that the only picture Joe had on his desk was of the dog.  He asked where the other family photos were and his father told him, "Missy is the only one that runs to the door to greet me when I come home."  There it is again, unconditional love, total devotion; all the qualities we wished we and our loved one's emulated.  

There have been hundreds of doggie movies about their journeys around the globe in an effort to return to their owners.  One we recently watched is Red Dog, an Australian film about a dog and his deceased owner.  It's a great example of how much they love us and affirm us regardless of who we are or how dumb we are.

My adult daughter, Melissa and my grand-daughter, Isabelle, volunteer at the Wake County SPCA.  They are "dog people."  They always have at least two dogs in their home.  Recently, they brought home Gibson, a six weeks old mixed breed.  What joy!  Gibson discovered a pin cushion on the top of the dining room table.  He didn't eat it, but he did eat the thirteen pins and one needle.  Their rescue dog needed several thousand dollars of surgery.  They were saving for a new roof but their priorities were with this new guy who has brought smiles and giggles and once again, the unconditional love of a pet.  

We are presently "pet free," but I am beginning to open my heart and mind to maybe adopting another dog, maybe!  I haven't found one yet who is asking to come here.  Once again, however, if one does come a knocking, I plan to sit with God and find out what the message is for us.  It won't surprise me at all if once again I am told, "it won't be easy but it'll be worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment