Sunday, August 3, 2014

Being Worthy

Affirmation: I am worthy.

What determines the worthiness of a human being?  In 1997 the movie Gattica came out staring Ethan Hawke.  It was a sci-fi film about genetically altering the human fetus towards a specific occupation.  A child who was born without this alteration was considered "imperfect" or "inferior" and that human was deigned useful only for menial jobs.  Ethan was one of those children born without the advantage of the sophisticated science of the time.  He was not happy with his pre-determined role and the movie revolves around what he needs to do to give the illusion of being one of the perfect people.  As we all know, the science fiction of today has often become the reality of tomorrow.  With genetic testing widely available and with the mapping of the Gnome, the theme of Gattica may not be too far removed from the very near future. 

When I've facilitated programs about creating affirmations people are encouraged to create phrases that do not have any negatives in them.  A few years back, however, I had one person who had had a very difficult childhood and she decided she was going to use "not" in her affirmation because it was the best phrase to help her feel better and so she did.  Most of the time when we use a negative in an affirmation, our brains ignore the negative and we wind up doing or feeling exactly the opposite of what we had intended. She decided she did NOT need to do anything more or be anyone other than who she was to be of value.  When she shared her affirmation it was obvious to everyone present that it was going to have a powerful impact for her even with the word "not" as part of it.

Recently I was involved in an activity that was more than humbling.  I was actually embarrassed by what I perceived as my poor performance.  (If you've been following this blog you can probably guess what I was doing.) I then became annoyed with myself for judging myself so harshly.  For me this was another experience that made me wonder, what determines the value of a human being? 


When someone is asked, "What do you do?" the answer generally generates a visceral response in both the questioned and the questioner.  Have you watched the physical response of both parties as this question is presented, have you observed yourself?  I've seen the persons being asked sometimes "puff-up", stand taller, perhaps their shoulders go back.  I've watched some people slump over, maybe step back as if they're preparing for battle.  Then there's the person's response when the answer is given.  For example, if the answer is, "I'm a brain surgeon" most people would probably have a different response than if the answer was, "I'm a trash collector."  We generally judge and many times value an individual based on what they "do." 

I am fascinated by society's value determination of occupations.  As far as I'm concerned if people were financially rewarded for their services based on how they benefit society, sports persons would not be making millions of dollars while teachers eek out a living.  Movie stars would not be some of the richest people in our country while those who care for the sick and elderly barely make minimum wage. 

Where am I going with this?  I want everyone to feel valued simply because they are a human being.  My friend was right.  We don't need to do anything more or be anybody special to be worthy.  We need to value each person simply because they are a creation of God.  If we don't do that it would mean that the sick, the infirm, the elderly, the mentally ill are of no value.  It will mean that someday society will allow science to genetically alter or design a human being and those that don't come out "perfect" will be relegated to a subservient place or even worse destroyed.

My faith, the Catholic Church, promotes the sanctity of life from the womb to the tomb.  I know this is not a popular concept and I understand how people because of dire circumstances sometimes want to be in charge of who lives and who dies and when, but it seems to me it's a slippery slope towards devaluing the human being and life itself. 

Several years ago I was invited by a dear friend, Ann Baucom, to join her and a group of women in developing a personal "charter of compassion."  I came up with six steps: Pray, Embrace Silence, Listen for God's voice, Affirm what is important to me, Release it into God's care, and Love, non-judgmentally, non-graspingly and unconditionally.  When I shared this charter with a friend, she thought it was too self-centered and not enough other-centered but I feel I can't affect any change in the world until I change myself. 

Each human being is a masterpiece, no matter what the flaws.  The flaws can add color, depth and texture.  We are each a precious treasure and with that concept we should know that we are worthy; worthy of respect, worthy of love, worthy of all the good and prosperity of a Divine creation.  Once we believe in ourselves, we will posses the wherewithal to give back to the world.

We can be of service by simply knowing God is always with us and She is leading us and guiding us.  If we are listening we will do it with love and honor and compassion.  We are of service if daily we rise with the intention to bless the world in our thoughts and words and deeds. We can impact the world regardless of what we do or, are unable to do if we simply hold our fellow man or woman in our thoughts with blessings and love. I am a perfect being created by a loving God regardless of what I do or don't do and so are you!


No comments:

Post a Comment