Saturday, September 15, 2012

Letting Go of Childhood Limitations


Affirmation:  I let go of my childhood limitations.

How can one be over the age of 50, 60, 70 and still be restricted or controlled by emotions and concepts that influenced them as they were growing up?  How can one not?  I’m speaking about those emotions and concepts that deter us from true joy, that interfere with our ability to completely savor and embrace life.  And, is it even possible to release oneself, to become an adult in one’s own right?  Is it possible to grasp the positive qualities that serve us and our loved ones and let go of those, perhaps at least acknowledge and appreciate the experience but then let go of those concepts that are damaging us?

Part of the creative process encouraged in Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way, is an examination of what one felt was lacking in their childhood.  I was a lucky person.  Looking back on my childhood I remember a lot of freedom and amazingly, even with all that freedom, I never experienced any trauma.  My mother and my father worked very hard and while my grandparents lived below our one bedroom apartment for the first ten years of my life, that was about the extent of our family.  My father was an only child and my mom’s siblings were more than a decade older than her and did not live close.  I grew up in Jamaica, Queens.  When the city was preparing for the 1964 World’s Fair, they took down all the trees along my street, Grand Central Parkway, and I could actually see the Empire State Building from my house. 

It was not an inner city neighborhood but it was close.  Most of the houses were attached brick homes with the driveway in the back alley.  We had about ten square feet of lawn in the front and my dad paved over the back yard so we had room to park our cars.  My mom had a clothes line that went from the second story kitchen window to a pole out back and she hung most of our laundry out to dry.  I would head out to play early in the day and wouldn’t return until the street lights went on.  We played hard.  We skated, rode bikes, climbed walls and trees.  We played tag, jumped rope and played stick ball.  In the winter we ice skated several miles from the house and rode our sleds down the back alley driveways.  No one ever seemed to come look for us and if you can imagine, we didn’t have cell phones!  We were free.  We had a lot of choices.  I grew up believing I could do anything.  I wasn’t sure what that was or where it would lead me, but there were no boundaries for me as a child.  I assumed there wouldn’t be any for me as an adult.  Oh, I was well aware of the fact that I was a girl but when it came to running, climbing and skating, I was equal to any boy.  It wasn’t until college that I discovered women were expected to only follow certain paths. 

After Julia has you examine what you thought you lacked as a child, she then encourages you to find ways to parent yourself, to nurture yourself.  You can’t begin to let go and to heal until you recognize what it is you were missing.  Maybe you never felt loved enough.  Maybe you never felt valued enough.  My parents were so busy that I never felt I received enough affection.  Of course, so much of our childhood memories can be so skewed.  I once heard the story of a young woman who recalled a fainting episode to her mother.  She was shocked to learn she hadn’t fainted at all, it had been her sister!  But, whether or not our feelings are based on reality or perception, doesn’t matter.  They are our feelings.  I can still recall childhood incidents that make me feel sad or happy or frightened and my childhood ended more than half a century ago.  And now life moves onward.  There are times when you need to let go of any junk you feel about your childhood.  At some point if you hope to be healthy and happy you simply need to “get over it.” 

I am my mother’s main caregiver.  I am very blessed because at 90 she is still extremely healthy and independent.  I’m the oldest of three and mom chose to move near me over 15 years ago.  She made the move all by herself.  She likes to be independent and self- sufficient.  It empowers her as it probably does most of us.  My prayer for Mom is that she will continue to have joy and maintain dignity as she finishes out her life.  I only want to love her and enjoy her presence. I want to be the "good little girl" and make her happy.  I want to take whatever steps needed to help her feel better, to make her happy.  I’m 66 years old and the child in me still wants to please my mother but I know, this is a fact, that no matter what or how much I do, I cannot please her long term.  I cannot make her happy.  Sister Mary Margaret from A Place for Women to Gather says, “Happiness is an inside job.”  There is only one person who can make us happy, us. 

That’s why I create affirmations.  It’s all up to me what I think, how I perceive life, how I feel.  I cannot remain the good little girl and live frustrated and sad because of anyone. I must let go of ALL my childhood limitations and embrace my own adult determination to create my own happiness.  Have you looked at your childhood limitations?  Are they interfering with the quality of your life?  Can you too release them?  Do you want to?

A reporter went to interview a man who was very down on his luck.  He had lost everything dear to him and had fallen into a chronic alcoholic state.  “Why do you think your life has turned out this way?” he asked.  The man shared with him that his father was an alcoholic and he never held out much hope for himself.  Then the reporter went to interview the man’s brother.  He was surprised to find him leading a very happy, successful life.  He decided to ask him the same question, “Why do you think your life has turned out this way?”  The brother said, “Well, for heaven’s sake, my father was a chronic alcoholic.  I watched him all through my childhood and decided my life was never going to follow that path.” 

Life is all about our choices.  We get to choose what lessons we want to learn from our childhood.  We get to decide if we’re going to carry the sad, remorseful feelings with us into adulthood and let them weigh us down or if we are going to learn the lesson, release ourselves from the limitations and grow up healthy and happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment